Tuesday, January 31, 2012

and one little tomato

Ok round here it doesn't seem it's going to be a good season for tomatoes, I prepared early, bought some nice seedlings, which I didn't let die by the back door. Put them in and kept them weeded and watered and them we had lots of wet and cold weather and them lots of humid weather and then a big long dry patch I really don't think they know what season it is anymore. I have half ofthem looking like they are nearly dead and the rest thriving but not many tomatoes either way.
Here's what I picked today.
Two large gold zuchinni, a bunch of cellery,spring onions and....one little pink pearl tomato! The chooks are laying really well at the moment so I'll be making some more zuchinni slice, yum. Looks like I'll have to wait a while longer to make the tomato sauce.
Hope your tomatoes are doing better than mine.


Sunday, January 8, 2012

Giant Mandarine Anyone?

I wanted to make some floor cushions, so after looking online at some pics I thought I'll just make up a pattern and see how we go. They turned out great, but twice as big as I imagined! They are huge and the orange one looks just like a giant mandarine.
So then I made a smaller version with the left overs

a much better size, this one doesn't take up all of the lounge room. Then because I didn't want to keep the offcuts I made a new heat pack and that was about all the scraps used up!
and just to show I am continuing with my New Years resolution here's curlique on the quilting frame!

I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

...and a Happy New Year

Well there was a longer than epected gap between the last two posts but I'm here now and I have an update on the UFO list, nothing too earth shattering but, I have one quilt top from the list put together and it's backing has been bought, washed and is hanging on the line as I write! I hope to get it on the quilting frame tonight.

This is Curlique and I started it back around October to practice my curved piecing and I got about half way through it and had to start some samples for patterns and never got back to it. Funny thing was I had it all out on the floor ready to piece in odd moments when I had some spare time and Dustin my lovely robot vacuum was on in Jordan's room up the other end of the house, with the door shut and he escaped and ran right through the middle of all the pieces! I had to rescue some from inside the vac and some he'd managed to get wedged in the brushes and lay it all out again. I had it nearly all  laid out but I couldn't get the last row to fit, for three hours I puzzled and moved and tried every combination, gave up and went to hang out the washing, figuring I'd just make it smaller and chuck the extra bits, when it suddenly hit me that I laid it on the floor because all the edges kept falling off the table..... at both ends. I had been trying to fit the last row to the wrong end Duh! Funny how quick it was to slot them all into place after that, and then I took a photo in case it happened again. By the way this pattern is by Rebecca from Chasing Cottons and is out in the latest Aust.Patchwork and Quilting.
Hope your UFO's aren't getting swallowed!