Saturday, July 28, 2012

Aussie, aussie, aussie!

Ahh the Olympics, the only time my TV stays on all day, so while watching the replay of the opening ceremony  ( no I didn't get up at 5.30am to watch live)  I thought I'd make some Union Jack mug rugs. They were very quick and easy so I thought I'd try a tutorial, how to, vague instructions of how I went about it.







 Start with a background, Cut a blue 4.5"x 6.5" piece, a piece of batting slightly larger and a piece of backing larger again. Lay them all on top of each other as they will be when it is finished.
Tear some strips of fabric: cream a strip 1"wide and a strip 1.5"wide and I've used pink but red is the traditional choice one strip 1"wide and one strip 0.5"wide.
Lay the  1"cream strips diagonally across your flag and top with the 0.5"wide pink strips.
OK picture is sideways but you get the idea. Top stitch down the cross, a quarter inch in from the edge of the pink strips.
Add the 1.5"cream strip across the flag and the 1"pink strip on top. Stitch these down then add the final strip from top to bottom.
Trim back to 6.5"x 4.5".
Sideways again. Add binding I cut mine 2"wide because I wanted it a little narrower because it's only a little mat.




Then it's time to put the kettle on!

Oi oi oi

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!